“Hello. My name is Ashley and I’m a midnight baker.”
“Hello Ashley,” they simultaneously say.
Ok so that’s probably a bit dramatic. I don’t attend self help addiction meetings for baking, but I do bake at obscure times of the day a lot. In fact I was baking late into the night just yesterday to make my mom a birthday cake cause she’s kinda awesome and deserves it. Besides there is no inappropriate time to be eating cake.
So about the cake. It’s a flourless chocolate cake with a salted orange caramel sauce and let me tell you. It was really good and super easy to make.
You melt butter and chocolate in the microwave. Throw in some egg yolks (don’t actually throw it…egg is hard to clean if you miss the bowl). Whip up egg whites and sugar and fold those fluffy clouds into the chocolate mixture. 45 minutes in the oven and you’re on your way to chocolate heaven.
Oh and do not skip on the orange caramel. Trust me. It makes the cake even more amazing and it takes 5 minutes to make. It’s just boiled orange juice, sugar, and a bit of corn syrup. Then stir in some heavy cream and butter once that’s brown cause you’re worth it and you can cheat on your diet for one day. And then vanilla and sea salt for that final umph.
Serves 8-10 (depending on how hungry you are at midnight).
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 8 ounces bittersweet or semisweet chocolate
- 6 large eggs, separated
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup fresh-squeezed orange juice
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoons light corn syrup
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon coarse sea salt
- Preheat the oven to 275 degrees with the rack in the center. Spray the bottom and sides of a 10-inch springform pan with cooking spray. Set aside.
- Melt butter and chocolate using a double boiler stirring until completely melted (or in the microwave). Let cool slightly before stirring in egg yolks.
- Beat egg whites until soft peaks form using an electric mixer. Gradually add granulated sugar, and continue beating until glossy stiff peaks form. Stir 1/2 cup of the egg whites into the chocolate mixture. Then gently fold in remaining egg whites using a rubber spatula.
- Pour batter into the pan and smooth the top with a rubber spatula. Bake for 45 minutes or until the cake is set in the center.
- While the cake is baking, stir the orange juice, sugar, and corn syrup in a medium sauce pan over medium heat. Stir the mixture until its gold brown.
- Remove from heat and quickly stir in the butter, cream, vanilla extract, and salt. Drizzle the golden deliciousness over the chocolate cake or dig your spoon into the saucepan to “taste test”.